In keeping with Clifton Springs Library’s mission to provide residents with current information in both print and non-print form, the Library offers free access to the Internet. The primary purpose of the use of the Internet in the Library is to gather information. Users should be aware that not all sources on the Internet provide accurate, complete or current information. The library denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained. The library urges patrons to be informed consumers and carefully evaluate information obtained via the Internet.
It is the policy of the library to comply with the Neighborhood Children’s Internet Protection Act by: (a) preventing user access over its computer network to, or transmission of, inappropriate material via Internet, electronic mail, or other forms of direct electronic communications; (b) preventing unauthorized access and other unlawful online activity; (c) preventing unauthorized online disclosure, use or dissemination of personal information of minors.
Rights of Users
All persons using the Internet must read and comply with the Library’s Guidelines for Responsible Use. Anyone with a valid Clifton Springs Library card, which is clear of fines and overdue items, may use the computer. All users will be required to sign a computer use agreement card.
All children under the age of 17 wishing to use the Internet must have a computer use waiver signed by a parent or guardian. Children under the age of 10 must have a parent with them at the computer at all times. The library affirms that it is the right and responsibility of parents to monitor their minor children’s use of library materials, including Internet access.
Material is available on the Internet, which parents may feel is inappropriate for their children. To the extent practical, steps shall be taken to promote the safety and security of users of the library online computer network. To the extent possible, library staff will supervise and monitor usage of the online computer network and access to the Internet in accordance with this policy and the Neighborhood Children’s Protection Act. (PL 106-554).
All Internet users are expected to follow the rules set forth by the Clifton Springs Library regarding use of public access computer stations within the library. These rules are subject to change without notice. Copies are available at the desk and will be clearly posted.
Responsible Use Guidelines
1. Sign up can be in person or by phone during the hours the library is open.
2. Computer time is reserved in 55-minute blocks beginning on the hour and may be extended if there are no reservations or no one else is waiting to use a computer.
3. Each user is limited to a maximum of 3 sessions per week unless there are no others waiting.
4. Please call to cancel if you are unable to keep a scheduled appointment.
Computer appointments are not transferable to other users.
5. Please be prompt. If you are 10 minutes late, your time may be assigned to
someone else. If you are late you will only have the time remaining in your scheduled session.
6. Only 2 people are allowed at the computer station at a time. Both individuals must have library cards and must register at the desk at the beginning of the session. Both users will be held accountable for any damages or rule infractions.
7. Walk-ins are welcomed based on the availability of equipment.
The library staff is trained to provide limited startup support. They will gladly assist you as their time allows. Please read instructions that are provided at the station for further assistance.
1. Users may not install any software or save any computer files on the computer hard drive. The Library reserves the right to remove any file that has inadvertently ended up on the computer and restore the computer’s hard drive to its original configuration.
2. NO changes are to be made in any program setup or the hard drive configuration.
3. If you are interested in saving your computer work, you may purchase a disk from the Library for $1.00. This disk may be re-used, but must be checked by the staff before inserting in the computer. No disks are to be put into the computer without first being checked by the staff.
4. Users may print materials on the Library printers for a fee of $.25 per page. Users may provide their own paper, but there will still be a per page charge.
5. Users are not allowed to operate at the DOS prompt level. Operating outside of the approved Windows menu is strictly prohibited.
6. Users are asked to immediately report any problems with equipment to the staff person on duty.
Damage to Clifton Springs Library property (i.e. equipment, furnishings, software or library materials) caused by or resulting from inappropriate use of equipment or improper behavior will result in civil and/or criminal action being taken against those responsible.
These rules are subject to revision at any time. Users are responsible for keeping informed of any changes to these rules which will be clearly posted at the computer stations.